Monday, May 24, 2010

David Cutler's Music

It was interesting to listen to the perspective that David Cutler brought to his view on the "savvy musician" or entrepreneurial artist. What I found most interesting was that, while I haven't know David Cutler as a person, I have been familiar with some of his works and compositions for quite a while. Professor Fred Sturm loaned me a few of his scores and recordings that he composed as a student a Eastman. Besides being exceptional works, Culter often seems to take a very "entrepreneurial" approach towards writing. For one of his larger works, Concerto for Studio Orchestra, he based many of the motivic materials off of themes by Stravinsky, (who was, himself, very innovative) and combined these themes into a very interesting amalgamation of sounds for orchestra and jazz ensemble. I think the point I am trying to make is that, thinking innovatively almost becomes a way of life, and will carry itself over not only as a business plan for success, but also in every artistic thing we do. (in this case, music composition)

No comments:

Post a Comment