Saturday, May 22, 2010

a little thought about copyright

The copyright in China is awful. A lot of people say it is the bad side of China. But I can understand, because no one is going to pay to download music if there’s the same thing available online for free. That is just human nature. But I did not understand it until I was walking in Chinatown in NY, and there were many street vendors selling DVDs of the latest movie with a really cheap price, I think it was about 3 to 4 dollars. And to my surprise, most of the customers were Americans. Of course no one is going to the movie theatre if they can just watch it at home for 3 bucks.

And it is the same for those designer’s bags. Who is going pay $2000 for something looks the same but you only need to pay $200? I know it is not the same, I know. But in that Silk Road Market next to the US embassy in Beijing, 80% of the customers were foreigners. And those vendors knew at least 5 different languages, but all about selling and bargaining. They started to switch languages when they saw me not responding to their Chinese.

No comments:

Post a Comment