Saturday, April 24, 2010

To be or not to be, it is a question.

I still remembered the day when I made the decision of changing my major to studio art. I came to Lawrence as an econ & math major, and the ECON 100 class I took in the winter of my freshman year and I did not get along very well, apparently we did not like each other. In China, only people who cannot go to a good college would go to an art school, and both of my parents and all my relatives said that I was wasting money and time. I thought about it again and believed that there was no other way out. Just like Prof. Troy said in class today: “You should not be a freelance artist if you can think of anything else you can do that makes you happy.” I’m not saying that I have to be a freelance artist, but really, I don’t know what I am going to do if I’m not doing art. I wish I did not choose art and art did not choose me, so I don’t have to quarrel with my parents over and over again. I guess it is like a “to be or not to be” question to me, it is either life or death. I have not regretted my decision so far, I don’t know what I will think 10 years later, I don’t know if I would say “I could have become an investment banker”, or would I be happy as a starving artist. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment